Friday, 24 October 2014

Spooktoberfest!!! A Suitably Chilling Bloghop For Halloween . . .


Today I'm taking part in Spooktoberfest, a horrifically chilling bloghop hosted by Cover Girls.  The rules:

Write a piece of flash fiction that's no more than 300 words, and it must contain the following:

  • Chill
  • Cocoon
  • Commotion
  • Curse
  • Virus

Me being blonde originally thought it said 500 words, so I was happily writing, editing, making sure I had all 5 words, and I read it and reread it until I was happy.  Then I read the rules again.  Yep, you can imagine my panic...lol.  300 words.

Still, I did it, and here's the resulting piece.  Have fun.  And don't forget to hop over to CoverGirls and read the other chilling contributions :)

12 past 2

Word Count: 297

Her voice woke me; soft whispers from a five year old. What was Chloe doing awake at this hour?
Sighing, I pulled the duvet back. A shiver ran through me, the coldness of the night like an invading virus, and I made my way across to Chloe’s room.

The door was ajar and her night light was on. A shadow crossed by beneath. So not only was she awake, she was running around!

Calming myself and preparing not to curse at her, causing a commotion, I pushed the door open.

Chloe sat on her bed, shadows sweeping across her, and she stared at me with a placid glare. I shuddered away an awkward chill and stepped into her room, frowning. “Who were you talking to, sweety?”

“My friend,” she replied, her voice soft and sleepy.

“Oh, a friend. And who’s your friend?” I ushered for her to lie down. She didn’t argue.

“The boy who comes to visit me sometimes.”

Again, I shuddered. So my daughter had found herself an imaginary friend. It wasn’t unheard of. I tucked the duvet around her like a cocoon and thought of the shadow I had seen. “So you were running around with your friend?”

“I wasn’t running around, mummy. He was. He doesn’t get to run around much.” She nestled her head into her pillow.

“Why doesn’t he get to run around?”

“Because most of the time he’s up on the fan.”

I looked upwards to the ceiling fan that sat motionless on the dark ceiling. It hadn’t been used in a while. “So your friend likes to hang on it and go for rides around?”

Chloe was practically asleep now, looking snug and innocent, but still she replied. “No. He hangs from it with the rope around his neck…”


28 comments:

  1. Hope you won't mind, but I don't like when kids are used in horror stories. That's a huge no no for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's perfectly fine, Dezmond. Even I have to think twice before I do, but I do like some of the creepy things kids say. That gives me shivers...

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Word... that gave us goosebumps!! Kids featured in horror makes it all that much more spooky and chilling. Big thumbs up!! Thanks for joining Spooktoberfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was great fun to take part in. Thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  3. That was good the last part gave me a chill down my spine,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Kids say some real creepy things at times which was the inspiration for this piece :)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, would love to see more from this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Felicity. Who knows what the future holds for writing plans :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. glad it had the desired effect :) thanks

      Delete
  6. Ceiling fans are evil. I knew it. Okay I have just never liked ceiling fans. But this story was really scary and I think you have a pretty good chance of winning this thing. Hi from a fellow horror fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fellow horror fan :) I've never even considered the scary side of ceiling fans but maybe you have a point...

      Delete
  7. Oooh, chilling. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I like it! Good stuff, DRC :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh excellent. You're a shoo in to win with that. Kids seeing ghost kids-- super creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I think it's kids innocence and the fact they're not scared of what they're seeing because they don't understand that makes it super creepy :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. lol...proof that the desired effect was achieved. Thanks :)

      Delete
  11. Loved this one. I definitely want to read what happens... you are going to write more about Chloe and the ceiling fan boy, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. It was just a little something I come up with for the blogfest and hadn't considered working more on it. Who knows. Glad you liked it though :)

      Delete
  12. What a great piece! Loved it! Thanks so much for participating in Spooktoberfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Was a great fest to be apart of :)

      Delete
  13. Super creepy!! I saw you were one of the winners over at the Cover Girls blog and had to come over and read your story. Congratulations on winning!! This totally gave me the chills.
    Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete