Wednesday 13 February 2013

Exercise Your Imagination . . .

I bit the bullet the other week and joined a gym.  One of my friends had a free pass at her gym and she invited me to join her for the day, so I went and I was taken by it.  But the price was a little off-putting for me.  After having struggled financially through the past few months and having to deal with unemployment and accidents and the likes, I couldn't justify forking out £50 a month for a gym membership.  And what was worse, you had to sign a yearly contract, so I would have to pay that for twelve months.

I didn't join.

Instead I shopped around and found another in my area for just £13 a month.  That's a huge difference.  It may not be as plush but it has all the amenities needed.  And with a rolling month contract, I joined.  As sods law would have it, I hurt my leg just after joining (and not a gym injury) and so couldn't go for the first week.  I was p***ed off with that.  I was all syked up.  So last night was my first gym night.

Exercise plays a huge factor in most people's creativity.  It breaths life into the imagination.  And us writers need regular exercise.  As you can imagine, a full time writer theoretically spends all day sitting at the computer typing.  Whereas their fingers get a huge workout as they constantly navigate the keyboard, the rest of the body doesn't.  And for me, working in an office has had the same effect.  The pounds soon pile on and an unhealthy routine is soon adopted, not including the laziness in imagination.

Writers need exercise, even if it's just a 20 minute walk a day.  It's a must and an important part in anyone's life.  Stephen King is a classic example of this.  He used to go out walking everyday for about an hour - until he got knocked over and nearly killed.  But he understood this importance.  And when I used to walk everywhere before I got my driving licence, my imagination was fit and healthy.  I was writing at full steam ahead, then when that changed it sloooowed.

I'm hoping now that I've joined a gym things will pick up again to the pace they used to be - not to mention ridding myself of those extra few pounds...

So if your creativity is struggling to thrive at the moment, why don't you consider turning your attention to a little exercise?  It really does work wonders :)        

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that. Having turned 60 I enjoy free swimming in Wales. That's the good news. The bad news is the very early morning swim is less crowded so I get up at 5.30 twice a week, and leave the house at 6.30 to walk the mile to the leisure centre. Once I'm walking, its fine. When I'm swimming it's even better. Plot problems and twists just materialise without me really thinking - once I'm in that zen like up and down rhythm. The hot shower afterwards and a Cafe Nero is even better : ) But exercise - you're so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, a gym. You could've saved the money and bought a bike or an exercise bike. Or use the cat as weights. :)

    ReplyDelete