Friday 15 June 2012

Pic of the Week . . . Anne Stokes

Do you know when you're walking down the street, passing shops you've never seen before, and then suddenly you see something that you just have to have?  I experienced that on my holiday.  I saw something and it spoke to me through the shop window.  It stared me dead in the eye and called my name.  The shop happened to be closed at the time and I had no choice but to go back to my caravan - but it haunted me all night.  It plagued my dreams and I could hear it crying out to me despite the miles that were between us.

Next day I ventured back to that shop during open hours and bought it.  So, what was this item that gripped me so?

It was this picture by Anne Stokes, titled 'The Oak King'.  But it wasn't just a normal picture.  It was a scroll that hangs on your wall.  I glanced it briefly whilst walking passed, done one of those comedic double takes and then spent the next ten minutes with my nose stuck to the window as I peered in.  It wanted to come home with me and I didn't let it down.  It's now sitting on my wall to the right, staring at me with content and I can't help staring back at it.  It captivated me and I hope it captivates you just as much (or at least understand why I was so easily pursuaded to part money for it).

So here it is, 'The Oak King' by Anne Stokes.

Enjoy and have a fab weekend...

9 comments:

  1. I like it and can see why you were attracted to it. By rights it should be creepy, but it's kind of... soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession time. I find it creepy. But then cute kittens make me uneasy

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol...Mike, if you think this is creepy, you should see the picture I have hanging on my bathroom wall. I'll post about that one soon so you can see (or just see how strange I actually am...lol) :)

    And Nick, you're right. This should be creepy, but it is soothing. As my copy is printed on leather it's not as sharp as this copy and this gives it an even softer feel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome picture. Makes me think of a couple of epic fantasy books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of the Ents in Lord of the Rings :)

      Delete
  5. Captivating picture. Is this something that you can get framed? If so, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does offer framed copies - or copies that you can frame yourself - but seeing as this is an actual scroll, I'm leaving it as it is. I've seen some of her work framed and they do look fantastic...

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous image. I love art like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very relaxing and tranquil picture... :)

      Delete